8.04.2007

sabrina ward harrison.



When I was eighteen or so, my sister-in-law gave me the book Spilling Open by Sabrina Ward Harrison, telling me that it completely reminded her of me. I remember curling inside a hot bubble bath and immersing myself in the pages, feeling, for perhaps the first time, fully understood. Every truthful word and beautiful picture almost brought tears to my eyes (and sometimes did). Sabrina writes extremely honestly about questioning and becoming yourself, feeling alone, body image, insecurity, and finding strength. Her art (which shows in many forms- photography, collage, illustration, mixed media, etc.) accompanies her work so very beautifully.

Sabrina has gone on to write two more books, Brave on the Rocks (based on traveling Italy) and Messy Thrilling Life (centered around a move to New York), both which I would highly recommend for self-help purposes, as well as design and art inspiration.



3 comments:

  1. Sabrina's work had the exact same affect on me. She was the one who wrote about Pablo Neruda, my now favorite poet... her work is ever-inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so amazing is this!! i also ordered it!! and your explanation/story behin the book is so great to read!! thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...